As one of America’s premier academic medical centers, Michigan Medicine has earned an excellent reputation for the quality of care we provide to patients and their families. So, it should come as no surprise that we place equal emphasis on caring for the thousands of members of our employee family whose talents and dedication embody The Michigan Difference .
Our employees work hard for us, and for those we serve. And, as part of our total commitment to them, we are proud to offer an extraordinary selection of benefits*, resources and programs that help them make the most of their careers, and their lives.
As a member of our team at Michigan Medicine, the comprehensive benefits** available to you include:
* This information is intended as a general overview of the benefits Michigan Medicine provides to our employees. While many benefits apply consistently and universally across our system, there are variables in how certain benefits and programs apply within specific job areas. For complete details on benefits within your area of interest, please inquire with your recruiter or hiring manager.
** Additional information of benefits and specific plan detail is available at
Flexible Benefits Programs
Choose the plan options and coverage amounts that best suit your individual or family needs.
Our Flexible Benefits Programs empower full-time Michigan Medicine employees, and part-time employees:
- The health plan that works for you
- The dental coverage you want
- The vision coverage you need
- Group legal services
- Spending accounts for child care, medical care and more
Paid Time Off
Providing valuable time away from work, to meet personal needs, enjoy family time and recharge your passion for the challenging work you perform with us.
Time Off Allowances
Michigan Medicine employees accrue paid time off each month, at rates based on their specific appointments and FLSA status.
During the first year of employment, staff members acquire more than two weeks of combined sick, vacation and personal time, in addition to paid observed holidays.
Over time, employees can accrue in excess of six total weeks of paid time off per year.
University Observed Holidays
The following days are observed as holidays annually, with Michigan Medicine employees receiving paid time off:
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- July 4th
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- The Friday after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Day
Michigan Medicine also offers employees the flexibility to substitute observed holidays for additional time off to meet personal needs, as scheduling allows.
Tuition Support Program
Rewarding employees who desire to further develop their professional careers through additional education.
After six months of employment, employees become eligible for our tuition support program, which provides partial reimbursement for job-related education courses or degrees that lead to other careers within the University.
Offering resources for employees to create and enjoy a prosperous future, beyond their working years.
Michigan Medicine provides an incredible, tax-deferred retirement annuity plan, featuring:
- 2:1 Matching – contribute 4.5% of your salary to the retirement annuity plan, and UMHS contributes an additional 9% in matching funds after the first year of employment.
- 100% Tax-deferred contributions
- A choice of retirement plans, including TIAA-CREF and Fidelity
- 100% Employee Vesting – All retirement savings plan contributions and earnings are vested immediately. This means that your contribution AND the University’s contribution and earnings are yours for retirement, or to be paid to your designated beneficiary or beneficiaries in the event of death.
Promoting healthy lifestyles and choices for our employees – physically, mentally and in the workplace.
As a leading health system, we recognize the need for healthy lifestyles in and out of your daily work environment. That’s why we provide a variety of resources to keep you healthy, active and in control of your overall well-being. Whether you enjoy outdoor sports, exercise or cooking classes, Michigan Medicine provides a variety of programs and amenities, designed to meet the full range of our employees’ needs and interests, including:
- MHealthy Nutrition Consultation
- Ready to Lose: MHealthy Weight Loss Program
- Active U: A twice a year physical activity challenge
- The University of Michigan Radrick Farms Golf Course
- Varsity Tennis Center and Palmer Tennis Courts
- Several on-campus recreational fitness centers
- On-site exercise classes offered year round
- Employee Assistance Programs
- MHealthy Thrive!
- Psychological Clinic
- University Center for Children and Families
- Depression Center
- Occupational Health Service
- Occupational Safety and Environmental Health
- Safety Management Services
- Infection Prevention and Epidemiology
Empowering employees to meet personal and family needs, in pursuit of balance and life fulfillment. More…
All employees of the Michigan Medicine have access to the following resources:
- Child Care Center
- Care for Aging Parents
- Child Development & Behavior Resources
- Breast Feeding Room